Friday, January 28, 2011

The Story of Bailey

I adopted Bailey from Rochester Animal Services in June of 2006. I had been looking through pictures of dogs on Craigslist just for fun when I saw an add for a Chihuahua that someone was claiming was going to be put to sleep soon if it wasn't adopted. So I went to see the Chihuahua, which was not Bailey. He was super loud and hyper and instantly I knew he wasn't the dog for me. Also he was not in any danger of being put to sleep. In the next cage over was Bailey. The most beautiful dog I had ever seen. He was being so quiet playing with this tennis ball.

I am not sure exactly what kind of breed Bailey is but I like to guess hes Pomeranian Chihuahua mix. Bailey has a deformed rear leg that we think he was born with. The leg does not have a knee and is completely straight. Bailey doesn't even seem to notice this, he gets around great. I filled out the adoption application and found out there was a wait list to adopt Bailey with 5 other people in front of  me. Since Bailey was a stray he had to be held 5 days before he could be adopted. I called the shelter every day that week to see if anyone had dropped off the list. By the time adoption day had come two people had dropped off the list but I still worried about not getting him. I arrived at the shelter 3 hours early and waited to adopt Bailey. No one ever showed. Bailey and I were meant to be together.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I love this story because it shows that when a dog is meant to be with you, it'll all work out. I volunteer at RAS and you'd be surprised how often the person who is #5 or #6 on the list for a dog ends up getting the pup! Yay for you and Bailey!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. They employees told me it was common for people low on the list to get the animal! I was hesitant to even be put on the list. I was sure I was too far down to get him. Bailey is the most spoiled dog in the world. He goes to water therapy for his bad leg, has a babysitter for the days he can't come to work with me, and has a huge basket full of toys! I want to walk in the Fast and the Furriest this year in his honor.

    ReplyDelete