Friday, October 7, 2011

Small White Dog Shaking Syndrome?!

Peanut my flyball all star has been incredibly sick lately. She started off a few weeks ago shaking just a tiny bit. Barely noticeable, I didn't think anything of it. Then she started walking strange. I took her to the vet right away thinking she pulled a muscle. They gave her medicine but she got worse. She could barely walk, she was falling over, wouldn't eat, vomited when she drank, and had two seizures. Being a panicked mom I called the vet constantly to update them on her situation, and brought her in a second time. They recommended I go see a neurologist at Cornell University in Ithaca. The neurologist there told me that Peanut has Small White Dog Shaking Syndrome or idiopathic steroid responsive shaker syndrome. What the heck does that mean? Peanut is only two, shes just a baby! Shes so healthy, shes a flyball super star! Well luckily for us it is a very treatable condition. It is most common in West Highland White Terriers, Poodles, and Malteses. With steroid treatment the condition will go away. I get her back from the vet tonight and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment