Sunday, May 8, 2011

Raw Food - Answers

Friday night I attended a free seminar on raw food for dogs at Boom Towne Canine Campus. The seminar was hosted by Jacqueline Hill from Answers Pet Food. I'm interested in raw food because I've heard of the enormous health benefits of feeding it but I really have not done much research into it. Jacqueline was a great presenter who really understood the material she was presenting. She has two mastiffs that she feeds a raw diet who are now 17 years old! Much older than a mastif's life expectancy. Raw food is superior to kibble because dogs are carnivores and kibble is mostly made out of grains. Another reason raw food is really good for our dogs is that it is not cooked and put under the pressure that kibble is. Kibble is cooked under high heat then squeezed out of high pressure machines to make its shape. This process destroys any nutritional value that is in the ingredients.

Answers sent us home with a free container of raw goat milk for our dogs. Raw goat milk is supposed to have great nutritional value for cats and dogs. Peanut, Bailey and Ollie really liked it. I'm going to start giving it to them once in a while.

I'm definitely going to be doing more research and thinking about raw diets for the dogs. I am also going to start following this blog about a vet that is transitioning her dog to a raw food diet. You can read about her experiences here: http://web.me.com/dramynesselrodt/RawDogFoodResearch/Welcome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment