Thursday, December 16, 2010

Are you Killing your Dog Slowly?

High quality dog food is one of my passions. It is also a very controversial topic is the pet community right now. Not all dog foods are created equal and consumers really need to read what is in their dog food. Low quality dog food can create all sorts of health problems for your dog from itchy skin to cancer. Low quality pet foods include ingredients from rendering plants. These plants take dead pets, rats, raccoons, and supermarket left overs and turn them into ingredients that are commonly used in cheap pet food. To make it worse these dead animals are covered in maggots, and deadly chemicals such as flea collars, euthanasia poison, collars and ID tags. The unsold supermarket meat goes in still in the packaging with plastic and styrofoam.

Right now I'm feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo dry dog food and some canned EVO wet food to provide them a variety. I also cook my dogs dinner to ensure that they are receiving healthy and whole ingredients such as turkey, carrots, and green beans. While I"m sure this is not a perfect diet it is certainly better than some other dry kibble only diets. This morning I discovered a great blog about pet food take some time to check it out: http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/

If you are really interested in what you are feeding your dog and how to feed them a more healthy natural diet check out Dr. Pitcarins complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry Ashley, my dog eats Canidae dog food which is more expensive than my children's food. btw - I think maggots are full of protein and are quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear Percy is eating a good food. Next step start cooking him dinners. You can cook a bunch of food one day and freeze it for the rest of the week so he always has a home made teat!

    ReplyDelete